Keeping close the words and memories of her grandmother, a young girl is determined to craft a treasure from cast-off bits of shell in this beautiful picture book.
- Each morning when the sun rises, Maya and her sister, Alita, go to the shore to collect the beautiful seashells the waves wash up on the beach overnight.
- The sisters scrub their finds until they sparkle like stars, then string them together to make beautiful jewelry they can sell to the people in their island village.
- When Alita discards shells she deems too broken or ugly, Maya rescues them and remembers the words of her grandmother: ''Even the tiniest nub can be quite beautiful. You just have to find the magic in it.''
- But can Maya turn the cast-off shells into something truly special?
- Vibrant full-color pastel illustrations throughout evoke magic and memory.
- By the illustrator of ''Ravita and the Land of Unknown Shadows'' and the author/illustrator of ''Misadventures of a Magician's Son.''
- Picture book measures 8-3/4'' wide x 11-1/4'' high.